£25k - 45k per year
020 7587 5153
7 months ago
Head of Science
Required for September 2019
The school, one of London's leading independent girls' day schools, has an exciting opportunity for an inspirational Head of Science to lead a successful Science Department in both its curricular and extra-curricular activities.
We are looking for a well-qualified teacher of science with a passion for the subject and excellent subject knowledge, with good organisational and time management skills. This position would suit an ambitious Teacher of Science or Head of Department looking to make a step towards a senior leadership role.
If you are a good communicator who can enthuse and inspire about the teaching of science and the ways in which it can be further developed and encouraged, we would be delighted to hear from you.
Science is valued highly at the school with excellent A level uptake and students frequently going off to top universities for further study such as Natural Sciences at Durham, Medicine at Cambridge and Neuroscience at UCL in recent years. The department fosters a love of science from an early age with a dedicated science teacher in the Junior School. This passion develops in the Senior School through inspirational teaching alongside innovative subject activities, many of which are the initiative of our proactive Sixth Form Subject Representatives. For example, Dissection Club has attracted a devoted following among KS3 students, ably guided by the Biology Reps. Science Week is also an annual high profile highlight, with last year's keynote speaker being Lord Winston.
Teaching here is all about being able to have in-depth conversations with students about your subject and helping to enthuse them with the same passion as you have. Teaching here is exactly what I imagined teaching would be like when I got my first teaching job; it's what teaching should be!
- Head of Department
About the School
We are a leading academic day school. Our girls are ambitious, bright, enthusiastic and eager to learn and we offer a warm and supportive community. We occupy a site in suburban, leafy, west Ealing with excellent transport links.
As part of the Girls' Day School Trust (GDST), the UK's leading network of independent girls' schools, we can offer a variety of benefits, such as:
- Membership of Teaching Staff Pension Scheme
- Access to the GDST central training and development programme
- Up to 50% discount on fees for children at GDST schools
- Training grants for obtaining further qualifications
- Season Ticket Loans: Interest free loans for travel are available to staff to enable them to buy annual season tickets
- Computer Loans: Interest free loans are available to staff to enable them to buy a computer for personal use at home
- Cycle Scheme: the School is part of the scheme which enables staff to purchase bicycles and equipment at a tax advantageous rate and pay for the equipment over 12 months
- Lunches: free lunches are provided to all staff during term time
- Four weeks' study leave for teachers after ten years' continuous service
- Accredited NQT induction
- There is a possibility of accommodation for September 2019
Closing date: Tuesday 7th May (12pm) but early applications are welcomed. Interviews will take place on Thursday 16th May.
Harris Hill is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expect all partners to share this commitment.